Postgraduate study, doctorate
Postgraduate study, doctorate
Postgraduate and doctoral studies are the main forms of preparation of scientific-pedagogical and scientific personnel of the highest qualification.
In Ukraine, postgraduate and doctoral studies are conducted at higher educational establishments of the third or fourth accreditation levels and equivalent institutions of postgraduate education, in scientific institutions with highly skilled scientific and pedagogical and scientific personnel, modern scientific research, experimental and material resources.
Postgraduate study is conducted with a separation (full-time, permanent) and without leaving the production (part-time).
During their studies, postgraduates master the methods of scientific research, make candidate examinations and conduct research on the chosen scientific direction of dissertation work. In Ukraine, candidates’ exams consist of philosophy, a foreign language (according to postgraduate student’s choice), a specialty (depending on the specialty on which the dissertation is being conducted). Enrolled in postgraduate studies with a separation from production on government orders receive a state scholarship (postgraduate students enlisted under a contract are not eligible for a state scholarship). After graduation, postgraduate students should complete their thesis and apply for protection.
Persons who enroll on doctoral degree should have scientific achievements and published works on the chosen scientific specialty, who are admitted to doctoral studies and who can carry out fundamental, research and applied scientific research at a high level.
As a result of the three-year activity of the doctoral student, the scientific work on obtaining the degree of Doctor of Science, and after the public defense of the work – the approval of her Higher Attestation Commission and the awarding of a degree. A citizen of Ukraine with a Ph.D. degree can apply for a doctoral degree not earlier than 5 years after the defense of the corresponding dissertation.
Activities in the field of training scientific and pedagogical as well as academic personnel are regulated by the “Regulation on the training of academic and scientific pedagogical personnel”, approved by the Resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine dated 01.03.1999, No. 309. By allocating a state order for the training of academic and scientific pedagogical personnel through postgraduate studies , the state pays great attention to the rational use of budget funds. The main criterion for the effectiveness of postgraduate studies is the number of defended theses by applicants during their postgraduate study. In this regard, great responsibility lies directly on the postgraduate students.
Rights and responsibilities of graduate students
Postgraduates are entitled to:
- Use of educational, production, scientific, cultural and sports, recreational base of higher educational establishments, scientific institutions.
- Obtaining any public scientific information and scientific consulting.
- Participation in the scientific activity of the department, unit, laboratory.
- Receive a state scholarship of the established size in the case of enrollment for studies with a break from production by state order.
- Interruption of training for solid reasons and its continuation. Duration and number of interruptions of study, as well as the importance of the causes are determined by the academic council of a higher educational establishment, a scientific institution.
- Annual holidays for up to two calendar months, which are included in the general period of study in the case of enrollment in studies with a break from production.
- Participation in elections to self-government bodies of higher educational establishments, scientific institutions.
- Work part-time in accordance with the legislation of Ukraine (on the basis of concluded agreements).
- Safe and harmless conditions of study and work.
- Provision of orderly housing in case of enrollment for studies with a break from production by state order – at the time of study, subject to payment of the cost for the use of housing by a postgraduate student (non-resident).
- The placement of post-graduate students by higher educational establishments, scientific institutions, which are not connected with the preparation of a dissertation, is prohibited.
Graduates are required to:
- Adhere to the requirements of the law, moral and ethical norms of behavior.
- Deeply master the knowledge, practical skills, professional skills, and raising the general cultural level.
- To master the methodology of conducting scientific research.
- To carry out the individual plan of work on the dissertation. The individual plan of the post-graduate course involves the preparation of candidate’s examinations in specialty, foreign language and philosophy, and, if necessary, an additional examination determined by the decision of the specialized academic council of the institution, the institution where the defense of the dissertation is envisaged, and credits from the disciplines determined by the decision of the academic council of the higher educational institution, a scientific institution taking into account the profile of training, as well as pedagogical practice.
- To report on the progress of the dissertation at the meeting of the department, unit, laboratory, academic council of the higher educational institution, scientific institution.
- To defend the dissertation within the prescribed time period or submit it to a specialized academic council.
- Adhere to the statute and rules of internal regulations of a higher educational institution, a scientific institution.
What is necessary for the successful implementation of paragraph 6 of the above obligations?
Graduates of the first year of study must:
- Attend classes in philosophy and the chosen foreign language.
- Submit to the postgraduate department an extract from the meeting of the department on the approval of the scientific supervisor.
- Submit and approve:
- a) the topic of the abstract on philosophy. The theme is agreed upon at the Department of Philosophy (the abstract must be prepared for admittance of the candidate’s examination);
- b) a book of a foreign publication or scientific articles in a foreign language for translation should be approved by the scientific supervisor and teacher, to whom the postgraduate student is assigned.
- Submit to the department of post-graduate studies an extract from the session of the department and academic council of the structural unit of the university (faculty or institute) on the approval of the topic of the dissertation; approved individual plan of work of the postgraduate student, signed by the scientific supervisor; Prepared abstracts on philosophy and corresponding foreign language.
- Pass the certification at the session of the department during the first half of the academic year and complete the individual plan.
- Approve the certification at a meeting of academic councils of faculties or institutes for the first half of the academic year.
- Submit to the postgraduate department the results of the certification:
- a) extracts from the meeting of the academic council of the faculty or institute and the meeting of the department;
- b) the completed and signed individual plan of the post-graduate student.
To be transfer to the second year of study postgraduates must:
- Successfully pass Ph.D. examinations in philosophy and corresponding foreign language.
- Take the initiative and carry out the tasks of the supervisor on the subject of scientific research.
- Pick up the relevant literature and write the analytical section of the dissertation.
- To formulate the goals and objectives of the study, choose and master the methods of research and solve the problems faced.
- To conduct scientific researches and approbation of the results of research at scientific conferences and to prepare and publish two articles in professional editions.
Graduates of the second year with a break from the production and the third year of study without leaving the production must:
- Pass pedagogical practice (to prepare and read lectures on specialty, to conduct laboratory or practical classes with students under the direction of the scientific supervisor) in the terms determined by the specialized department. To report on the results of the practice at the meeting of the department and submit to the department of postgraduate studies extract from the meeting.
- Conduct experimental researches, defined by the individual plan of work of the post-graduate student.
- Periodically report the results of the research on scientific seminars and meetings of the specialized department and conduct their approbation at least two scientific conferences on this specialty.
- Publish or submit at least two articles in the professional editions.
- Complete the material in order to complete the dissertation.
- Write and submit to the scientific supervisor and the leading specialists in this specialty the second and third sections of the dissertation.
- Clearly formulate the stages of completion of the dissertation study.
Graduates of the third year of study with a break from production and the fourth year of study without leaving the production should:
- Complete a candidate’s examination in a specialty on which a postgraduate student is studying.
- Publish the main results of the dissertation research in professional editions and to conduct their approbation at scientific conferences.
- Clearly state the conclusions of the dissertation and to show the personal contribution of the postgraduate student in fulfilling the given scientific task during carrying out this scientific research.
- Complete the work on the dissertation.
- Prepare for the preliminary defense of the candidate’s dissertation at the chair.
- Pass the certification at the session of the department for the whole period of study.
- Submit the dissertation materials to the specialized academic council.
Further information can be found at the Department of Postgraduate and Doctorate studies